In the early 1940’s,charming young man left his hometown for Bombay after completing BA degree in English Literature from the Government College, Lahore.He got a job military censor’s office at Churchgate, for a monthly salary of Rs. 165.Afterwards he joined as a clerk in an accountancy firm for a salary of Rs. 85. Inspired by Ashok Kumar’s performance,he joined his older brother, Chetan Anand, as a member of the Indian People’s Theatre Association (IPTA).Luck smiled on him and he was soon offered the lead role in Prabhat Films’ Hum Ek Hain (1946). After that he never looked back .He was the evergreen legend of Hindi cinema – Dev Anand.
Here are of the some of the songs which were picturised on himwhich are favorite of mine which I want to share with you.
1) Hum Dono -“abhi na jao chodkar”— Hum Dono(1961) was one of the great films which has everything perfect with it,be it performances,direction,songs and picturisation. The superb score of the film was rendered by Jaidev. In this song; A dashing Dev requests his lady-love played by the gorgeous Sadhana, to stay a bit longer with him as he wants to enjoy her company as his heart is not satisfied with his brief rendezvous with her.
2) Maya(1961) -“Koi Sone Ke Dilwala–In this film Dev stars along with Mala Sinha.It is a story of a disillusioned young man,an heir to an extraordinarily rich man,who is tired of the vanity of the upper-class and rich society.The sentiment is aptly conveyed by Mohd Rafi in this song.
3) Asli Naqli(1962)-“Ek boot banaunga”——-A film directed by Hrishikesh Mukherjee,it has all the elements of pure family entertainment. Dev plays a rich grandson who rebels against his grandfather who is constantly pestering him to marry a girl of his choice.The film shows beautiful chemistry between Dev and Sadhana as well as superb performances by the cast. In this song Dev is worshipping Sadhana as well as making her blush more and more.
4) Paying Guest (1957) – “Mana Janab Ne Pukara Nahin”——-It is a film with balanced mixture of suspense and comedy. Dev plays a defending lawyer who is infamous to lose the case and get his client in trouble. Dev shows great comic timing in this film. In this song,he following the heroine everywhere as he is deeply in love with her.
5) Tere Ghar Ke Samne-Title song—-Dev Anand plays a young architect in this comedy,which shows triumph of love over family rivalry.The song picturization is superb and shows the skill of Vijay Anand‘s masterful direction.
6) Guide-“Gaata Rahe Mera Dil”——-Based on one of the novels of R. K. Narayan, and is believed to be one of the masterpieces of the Indian film industry. It is adorned with superb performances of Dev Anand and Waheeda Rehman. It was directed by Vijay Anand. Dev Anand gave one of the greatest performances of his life in Guide.The song depicts the love between a tourist guide Raju (Dev Anand) and Rosie (Waheeda Rehman)
7) Tere Mere Sapne (1971) -“Hey Maine Kasam Lee”—— Tere Mere Sapne is based on The Citadel, a novel by A.J. Cronin. It is written and directed by Vijay Anand. The film boasts of wonderful performances by Mumtaz and Dev Anand.It is a film about a village doctor Anand (Dev Anand) who from being a good natured and helping doctor turns into a doctor who is after money and how it affects his married life. The song is picturised on the couple riding a bicycle among lush village fields affirming about their love with each other.
8) Johny Mera Naam(1970) – “Palbhar Ke Liye Koi Hame”———- It is directed by Vijay Anand and it stars Dev Anand,Hema Malini and Pran. It is a tale of two brothers separated in childhood.It is a beautiful and cute song picturised over Dev Anand and Hema Malini
9) Prem Pujari (1970) – “Phoolon Ke Rang Se”—– It is produced, directed and written by Dev Anand.The film deals with war and espionage and stars Dev Anand and Waheeda Rehman in lead roles.The film has many memorable songs such as “Rangeela Re,” “Shokhiyon mein” and “Phoolon ke rang se Dil ki Kalam se” all of them which were written by the famous lyricist Neeraj.
10) Gambler (1971 )- “Dil Aaj Shayar Hai”—— It is a thriller directed by Amarjeet .In this film Dev Anand plays a casino card sharp who is hired by Jeevan.The film has some great songs as well as nice performances by Dev Anand and Shatrughan Sinha. The song is a sad one gracefully sung by Kishore Kumar.
Dev Anand died in his room at The Washington Mayfair Hotel in London at the age of 88 on December 2011.Although he is not with us anymore;we still feel his presence,liveliness and energy in the air…..
Abhi na jaoo chodkar;Ke dil abhi bhara nahin………………….
- Hema Malini-The Dream girl of Indian Cinema (coolone160.wordpress.com)
- Sadhana- an elegant and timeless actress (coolone160.wordpress.com)
- Songs for all times: Celebrating 100 years of Hindi film music (dustedoff.wordpress.com)
- R.I.P Dev Anand (harveypam.wordpress.com)
- Driving around Dev Anand: Bollywood’s Gregory Peck (itv.com)
- Tere Ghar Ke Samne (1963) (raatakelihain.wordpress.com)
- Mumtaz -The versatile actress (coolone160.wordpress.com)
- Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai (1961) (bombaynoir.wordpress.com)
- Ranveer Singh took inspiration from Dev Anand films for ‘Lootera’ (ibnlive.in.com)