Seniors text messaging each other in their high school English class in Calhan, Colorado. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
90’s have introduced us to new technological innovations such as mobile phones,PCs and plethora of other gadgets.
Before the mobile phones,recall how we have to rush to public booths or a friend’s house to make an important call if our landline was out-of-order; how we had to book long distance calls 🙂 .How we waited for mails from our friends and relatives for weeks on end before the emergence of e-mail; we knitted our eyebrows on minor grammatical mistakes before Text-messaging(which gave rise to a whole new lingo 😉 )
Now we can call anyone or message him at any time,send mails at a click of a button;sure it has made our life lot easier and hassle-free,but we have lost the warmth of a emotions which was present in handwritten letters from now e-mails marred with auto-correct…. see you again has become CU; take care is now TC in text messages…….. Wish we could revive the practice of writing letters which we could treasure in drawers and take them out in our leisure rather than doing the ritual of cleaning our inbox every morning…..
- Texting turns 20 today, and it’s still kicking (digitaltrends.com)
- Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Text Message: History of the SMS (twilio.com)
- Text messaging celebrates 20 years (itv.com)
- Today is the twentieth anniversary of SMS texting (HEXUS.net)
- A better Android app for hands-free text messaging (reviews.cnet.com)